Travelers Relish Unique Agritourism Destinations
In Wine Coast Country, agriculture is a way of life. And travelers from all corners of the earth can now experience farm life in a whole new way.
Farms, vineyards and seafood farms are opening their doors for travelers who flock to California’s Central Coast to experience San Luis Obispo County’s unique agritourism destinations.
To make choosing these tours easier for California travelers, we asked the experts: Carol and Mike Broadhurst, local farm owners and the duo behind the Cambria Farmers’ Market on Friday afternoons.
“Wine Coast Country, along California’s Central Coast, is the perfect destination for visitors looking for agritourism.” – Mike Broadhurst
Carol and Mike Broadhurst’s Wine Coast Country Playlist
1. Farmers’ Markets. The rich soil, abundant seas and mild weather make San Luis Obispo County an ideal place to grow a number of crops. Every day of the week there is a bustling farmers’ market happening somewhere in the region, providing a place where foodies can get farm-fresh eggs, produce, meats and cheese, among other things. slocountyfarmers.org.
2. Avila Valley Barn.A local-favorite, Avila Valley Barn is a great place to get fresh fruit and vegetables, ice cream, deli sandwiches, baked goods and gift items for the whole family. Open seasonally, this family-friendly destination also offers free hayrides on weekends to its “u-pick” fields and orchards, where people can pick their own produce right off the tree or vine. avilavalleybarn.com.
3. The Luffa Farm. The farm’s first small luffa crop was grown outdoors on the Nipomo mesa more than 20 years ago. Now, greenhouses are filled with luffas and it’s quite a sight to behold. The Luffa Farm is open Wednesdays through Sundays and offers free tours that require no scheduling. They also offer paid group tours that include a catered lunch. theluffafarm.com.
4. Happy Acres Family Farm.This California state licensed working goat dairy started out with just one special goat named Stella. Now, the herd is made up of four unique breeds totaling over 200 head. Visit this farm for fun-filled tours and learn how to blend your own cheese, milk, bottle feed and snuggle newborns, and so much more. Tours are by appointment only and cost $12-25. happyacresfamilyfarm.net.
5. Wine Tours. From wine country shuttles to private tours of barrel rooms and vineyards, there is no shortage of wine tours in Wine Coast Country. The abundance of vineyards and wineries provide a unique look at the distinct microclimates, from the cool, Mediterranean-like atmosphere of Edna Valley to the warm, dry summers of Paso Robles, there is something for everyone here. winecoastcountry.com/play.
But this isn’t all Wine Coast Country has to offer. There are other unique tours, including those at the Abalone Farm, Lavender Farm and other local agribusinesses.
For a complete list of farm tours and other agritourism destinations within the county, visit WineCoastCountry.com/play.